This course prepares those working with older adults to recognize suicide risk among their clients, to intervene, and to engage in and promote suicide prevention. You will learn about the underlying causes of suicide, and the risk factors associated with suicide in older adults, as well as the influence that cultural and religious factors may have on the risk of suicide. The course provides an assessment of the interventions that have proven most effective in preventing suicide among at-risk older adults. The course also includes a discussion of the ethical and legal issues that surround suicide.
Note: This course is also accredited by Boston University School of Medicine Continuing Medical Education/Continuing Nursing Education to provide 4 CNE and CME credit hours. It can also be taken as part of our Behavioral Health in Aging Certificate which provides 19 CNE and CME credit hours.
*You may register for this course individually or as part of a certificate program.
“I found the information in each chapter extremely important to my line of work. It provided me with more tools and information to better serve the older population who are at risk of suicide.”
- Identify key risk factors associated with suicide among older adults.
- Summarize the various assessment tools that can be used to identify suicide risk.
- Explain legal and ethical issues as they relate to older adult suicide.
- Explain current practice and policy issues as they relate to suicide.
- Identify current policy issues regarding suicide.
- Pre-course Competency Assessment
- Section I: Course Overview
- Section II: Background and Scope
- Section III: Key Content
- Section IV: Your Role
- Section V: Ethical and Legal
- Section VI: Policy Context
- Section VII: Course Summary and Resources
- Course Quiz
- Post-course Competency Evaluation
- Certificate of Completion
For information about refunds, cancellations, accommodations and to contact us please visit the policies page.
All online courses are self-paced and are designed as reading-based and include interactive multimedia components including simulations, video, audio, and discussion boards.